If you love the Kraft Hamburger Helper, this one is sure to please!
Not only is it healthier, but it is a much better tasting than the boxed stuff and takes just as long to whip up!
Truly a win-win!
We made it slightly spicier than the boxed stuff, but Mei and Emily had no issues with the spice and gobbled this one right up!
Have you entered my giveaway yet? There is a fantastic twist at the end!
- 1 lb of ground beef (use 93% lean for a nearly fat-free recipe)
- 2-1/2 C fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 C hot water (from the tap)
- 2 C (8.4 oz) dry, whole wheat elbow macaroni (I had a box of Hidden Veggie pasta that we used and the flavors were still spot on)
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBS chili powder (1-2 tsp if you like less heat)
- 1 tsp sugar (or a little more if you forgot to decrease the chili powder)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 C of 2% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the ground beef with a wooden spoon, breaking up the meat as it browns, until it is no longer pink.
Mix the milk, water, cornstarch and spices in a large measuring cup, stirring until thoroughly combined then pour it into the skillet with the ground beef. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes until the pasta is done.
Turn off the heat, stir in the cheese until thoroughly melted and serve immediately!